As summer turns into fall, as the crisp crunch of autumn leaves sound beneath your feet, and the morning chills fill the air, fall activities are what we look forward to when the October weekends approach! Here are some top picks, all located near UM:
- Cherry Crest Adventure Farms: Located in Gap, PA (about 1 ½ hours from UM Township), this place has all over 50 fun, festive fall activities you could ask for! Between the 5-acre corn maze (within it, you’ll find a small café, a larger than life haybale — not to mention a mini zipline! — and the pieces to create a map of the maze), the candy shops, and the dozens of fun activities to try (apple shooting, foam ball wars, bouncy pillow jumping anyone?), you’re sure to make some great memories at Cherry Crest!
- Bates Motel & Haunted House: Located just off route 352, Bates Motel & Haunted House is rated one of the best haunted houses in the US! People have said that this house has all the gore and scary moments that people who love thrills look for … it opens September 24, 2021, just in time for the spooky season and you can find tickets on sale here: https://thebatesmotel.com
- Drive-In Theater: Head to the Philadelphia Film Society’s Drive-In Theater at the Navy Yard! You can screen movies almost every Friday night, with some current films including Mean Girls, Dear Evan Hansen, and Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings. Get your tickets and information here: https://filmadelphia.org/drive-in/
- Zombie Rail Bike Laser Tag Hunt: Are you ready for a rail bike adventure under the moonlight with your friends? This is your ticket to a frightfully good time! The trail is five miles long and each bike rental includes the use of two laser tag guns as you try to “survive” the zombies who are hunting for their next meal (you — cue witch’s cackle)! There are limited tickets to this attraction so be sure to check this event out ASAP! Here is the link for tickets and further information:
- Pumpkin Carving Festival/Scarecrow Walk @ Morris Arboretum: Located in Chestnut Hill, PA, Morris Arboretum will be hosting its annual Scarecrow Walk, where visitors can walk past dozens of displayed scarecrows and vote on their favorites! The Scarecrow Walk will take place from October 1-November 3, 2021, so make sure you visit while the scarecrows are still out and about! https://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/fall-harvest-festivals/
- Apple/Pumpkin Picking: At Highland Orchards in West Chester, PA, you’ll find pick-your-own fruits (over 20 types of apples!) and an amazing farmers market. This is an outing your family is sure to enjoy … some of the current picking options at Highland include pumpkin and apple picking, both of which come highly recommended! The apples are extremely sweet and the pumpkins might just be the largest you’ve ever seen. Enjoy apple and pumpkin picking!
- Fall Festival at Heuser Park: On October 2nd, 2021, from 3-8pm, the annual Fall Festival will be taking place! Come to the park for some fall treats, games, homemade craft vendors, pumpkin patch picking, and fireworks … if you go, make sure to stop by the booth, Cards, Clutches, and Keepsakes!
Have fun this fall!