Calling all you music fans out there – 2022 is already shaping up to be a HUGE year in music! For all of those amazing artists that debuted music last year (we’re talking Olivia Roderigo’s Sour, Philadelphia-native Jazmine Sullivan’s Heaux Tales, Taylor Swift’s Red (Taylor’s Version), Adele’s 30, Lil Nas X’s Montero, Ed Sheeran’s = – the list goes on!), there’s plenty more albums dropping in 2022. Here’s what you’ve been waiting for (drumroll, please!):
- Avril Lavigne: First up on the list is an untitled album by our favorite pop-punk princess. Avril’s inspiration for the album stems from her telling it like it is (!) and not holding back any words! Lavigne will poke fun at herself in this new album, according to EW’s January 2022 issue.
- Crash by Charlie XCX: This album will drop March 18th and the singer has continuously hinted at something dark being afoot.
- Dawn FM by The Weeknd: Just released January 17th, this album was inspired by imagining someone stuck in a purgatory state, The Weeknd recently explained in an interview. This album ranges from EDM to hip-hop to several other genres.
- Born with Horns by Machine Gun Kelly: Whether or not the album premieres in 2022 is anybody’s guess, but he’s had a great start to the year with his recent engagement to Megan Fox. Instead of Kelly’s usual rap music, this album will pivot in a new pop-punk direction for this artist.
- Familia by Camila Cabello: Rumored to be released in 2022, Camilla returns to her Latin roots, motivated by time she spent with her family in Miami during the pandemic. The first single off of this album, Don’t Go Yet, was released in both Spanish and English. This song was inspired by the music Cabello listened to as a child.
- BTS: This popular group may not yet have a title for their album but it is widely known that their singles (including Dynamite, Butter, and Permission to Dance) were some of the most popular songs in 2020 and 2021, so we should expect no less from their latest album. BTS’s music label, Big Hit Music, has been hinting at the beginning of a new chapter for the group. I wonder what’s in store for their fans?
- Kendrick Lamar: This artist had his music incorporated in several popular movies, including 2018’s Black Panther, and is setting himself up for another rap album before the year is out. A trivia tidbit – Kendrick is a Pulitzer Prize winner, so we can only hope his next album to be a big hit. He was recently confirmed as a performer for the 2022 Super Bowl halftime show, so now you can look forward to funny Super Bowl ads AND great music!
- Maren Morris: With her 2019 album, Girl, Maren leaned deeper into pop and R&B, but her forthcoming record has her returning to her Texan roots. Be on the lookout for her lead single on this album, Circles Around This Town, to be released in January 2022.
- Lizzo: Expect to see more positive messages and criticism of negative public chatter on her new funk-pop album (still untitled). Rumor has it Lizzo was entering a new era when she released a single with Cardi B in August of 2021.
All music fans out there – which album are YOU most excited about? Be sure to listen to these tunes when your next favorite album drops!